December Events at the S.W. Smith Memorial Public Library:
- All month: The Library Giving Tree in the library is decorated with ornaments that have the name of a small item needed for programming or everyday office use in the library written on them. Patrons may choose to help their library defer costs by choosing an ornament and then donating the item written on the back.
- December 2, 10-11am: Holiday Hugs Teddy Bear Fundraiser: The Friends of the S.W. Smith Memorial Public Library are hosting a Noah’s Ark Stuffed Animal Workshop Fundraiser for your library. Create a new huggable buddy for the holidays by stuffing it yourself! Patrons are invited to participate for $20 per bear. Each bear comes with a choice of reversible vest or a scarf/hat set. Extra clothes can be purchased for $5 each. No registration is required, bears are available while supplies last. Money due upon arrival (cash or check), bears will not be put on reserve prior to December 2. Bears are 15 inches with curly white fur. Love your library by stuffing a Holiday Hugs Teddy Bear!
- December 4-9 Food for Fine$ Week: Do you owe fines for overdue library materials? $1 will be deducted from your library fine for each nonperishable food item that is donated. Patrons without fines may also donate food to help a child patron pay down his/her fine. Please bring donations to the S.W. Smith Memorial Library at 201 E Maple St. in Port Allegany. All food collected will be donated to local food pantries.
- December 7, 5:00-6:30: Children’s Cross-Cultural Holiday Workshop: Children through fourth grade are invited to the library to learn about holidays in other cultures through story and food sampling. This event is hosted by the Port Allegany High School Gifted Program Students.
- December 12: The S.W. Smith Memorial Public Library will close at 6pm for the annual Library Staff and Board Holiday Party. Library Board meeting to follow at 7pm.
- December 29, 1-2:30pm: Movie @ the Library: Patrons, adults and children, are invited to an afternoon movie at the library. Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult. The Boss Baby (PG) is loosely based on the book by author/illustrator Marla Frazee. In this comedy, we meet an unusual baby on a secret mission. He must settle his differences with his imaginative 7-year-old brother, Tim, in order to succeed. Popcorn will be served!